“You are lonely tonight.” The information reveals the loneliest cities in America
KSNF/CODE: — Whether or not it is your neighbor, relative, or co-worker, there is a good likelihood you understand somebody who lives alone. Actually, greater than 36 million Individuals, or 29% of all US households, are single-person households. US Census Bureau.
And the pattern towards residing alone exhibits no indicators of slowing down as main life occasions like marriage are delayed. In 2022, the typical age of marriage was 30 for males and 28 for ladies. However which cities have the most individuals residing alone, and the place has residing alone seen the best development?
To seek out the “loneliest” cities in America Chamber of Commerce and Trade analyzed Census Bureau information for greater than 170 cities with populations of at the very least 150,000.
Washington is ranked first, however St. Louis is second. Nearly half (47.5%), or 66,357, of all properties in St. Louis are occupied by one particular person.
Listed below are some extra gadgets for St. Louis:
- Single ladies. In St. Louis, 25.7% of single-person households are feminine, making town the 4th most single-person family within the nation. Richmond, Virginia ranks #1.
- Single males. In the meantime, 21.8% of single-person households are male, making town the 4th loneliest metropolis for males.
- St. Louis is getting lonelier. The city appears to be getting lonelier. On common, the variety of folks residing alone in St. Louis has elevated by 1.98% 12 months over 12 months since 2016.
- Pandemic loneliness. Regardless of the typical annual enhance in folks residing alone, the variety of one-person households in St. Louis really elevated has decreased throughout an epidemic 4.83% From 69,727 in 2019 to 66,357 in 2021. Nonetheless, town nonetheless ranks second solely to Washington, D.C., for the general highest proportion of individuals residing alone.
|: A cool collapse Missouri you are not allowed to enter >:
Springfield, Missouri additionally made the highest 30 checklist, coming in at #23. Listed below are extra highlights of Springfield:
- Share of residing alone (ladies). 19.5%
- Share of residing alone (males). 20.1%
- One particular person households. 31,323
For extra rankings and evaluation, you’ll find the total research at HERE.
Recommend a correction